My friend, Stephanie, got us a sewing machine for our wedding gift. It stayed boxed up until we moved. Once we got into our new place I took it out of the box to look at it but promptly put it away after remembering I don't know how to sew. Then I had a brilliant idea to make a baby quilt for Madalynn! I picked out cute baby fabric and got the materials I needed and worked up the courage to bring the sewing machine back out. After cutting what seemed like a MILLION little squares I quickly became discouraged with the quilt because it was taking too long (I probably only spent about 2 hours total but not much progress was made in those 2 hours). So the sewing maching and the million squares I cut were pushed aside. Once we got things put together in Madalynn's room I decided an easy and quick thing to sew would be a valance. I also wanted to make a burp cloth. These are 2 projects I actually finished and I loved the feeling of accomplishing something!
After the valance and burp cloth I was out of ideas. Then this week Scott went out of town on Monday. So I am lonely and bored...and a girl can only watch so much daytime TV before having to do something! My mom called me and she asked if she could give me some money to go buy fabric. She said she remembers when my dad would be out of town and she had nothing to do so she wants to help (because Scott and I are a little tight for money right now). So I went and got some other cute fabric! I did a little blog-searching and found a tutorial on how to make little baby booties.
I bought a boppy pillow from a second-hand store and the cover it came with was ugly (and for a boy). So I decided to make the squares of my "quilt" become a boppy cover!!
THE OLD COVER
THE NEW COVER
We recently got our carseat and as I was blog-searching I came across a tutorial to make a car seat cover. (I don't remember how cold California is in March but either way it'll help protect her from the sun! I made it so when you flip the purple part over the under-side has the green and if you flip over the green side it has purple on the under-side.
Yesterday I decided it was time to make something cute and cuddly for Madalynn. I decided on the classic-- a Teddy Bear. It looks like you would expect a newbie seamstress' first stuffed animal to look like. But I love it. And I love her outfit and the little bow. I actually made the bear out of an old brown shirt and stuffed her with a pillow that we don't use anymore (we have many extra pillows that we don't need) Haha.
I still have a list of things that I am wanting to make but my back starts to hurt from sitting at my sewing table for too long so I have to break them up. I think this is my way of nesting because as I sew my house becomes a mess so I'm not a cleaner-nester (?).






You just keep sewing and you know your Mom will clean when she comes! ;o) I hear she is GREAT at cleaning the microwave! You did such a GREAT job on all yor projects!
ReplyDelete